Bodies - a six year decimation of Idaho

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Who I am

Having a dichotomy, a quandry, a conundrum, if you will, on your name is no fun. Half the people I know call me John, the other half, Gus. My wife calls me John, work calls me John, good friends call me Gus, my family calls me Gus. I guess I'm both which makes things complicated when sending out mass emails, Christmas letters, or making blog posts. I should have just gone by Magnus, Gustavo, or Lloyd. Ah, the duality that is me...

With that out of the way: I'm a Boise State football fanatic. By fanatic, I don't mean I watch a few games a year and I own a hat, I mean I am a friggin' idiot when it comes to all things Bronco related. I have jerseys, a helmet, a football, several posters...and those are just the autographed items. I've got more hats than days of the week. More shirts than days of the week. My wife Shandy thinks I'm ridiculous but she tolerates this obsession because I'm so hot.

I've been married to the love of my life, Shandalyce for 12 years. We met while we worked at McDonalds in High School. Cheesy, I know but when you used to flip burgers for a living, cheese is a way of life.

We have four boys, August, Seth, Benjamin, and Nathan. Apparently, I only produce the Y chromosome. It's cool, the boys are so much fun and so neat that I forget all about how we would like a little girl some day.

I'm an active Latter Day Saint and have been for 14 years. Church is more than just a way of life, it is life.

I'm a Captain in the US Army. I have travelled to 13 countries, 12 with the Army. I am overworked, overstressed, but thoroughly love being a Combat Engineer.

I wish I still had time to play the bass, to paint, to read recreationally, to work on my 79 Trans Am, to work on a graduate degree, and to snowboard or ski more than once or twice a year. I'm glad, though, that my priorities are straight and I know what is truly important in life.

No comments: