Bodies - a six year decimation of Idaho

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Dang these new headphones!



So Heidy got me some sweet new earphones for Christmas. They're the Shure model SE110's and they are the best earphones I have ever owned. They completely cancel out all outside noise and are pretty much like earplugs. I've worn them on the plane a few times and I hear nothing but the sweet tunes of whomever I'm listening to at the time.


They do have a downside, though. Case in point:


I've been getting up at 0500 each morning and hitting the gym with August or Seth. August and I were working out this morning and due to all of the snow, we were the only ones there. I'm on the elliptical and August is on the treadmill. I'm rocking out to one of my work out mixes on the iPod. Well, the workout and music progresses and just for fun, I'm singing along, sometimes at the top of my lungs. August keeps giving me the "I'm 11 and getting to the point where I'm almost embarrassed of my parents" look but he keeps grinning. I include the occasional fist pump or the low crouch on the elliptical while I'm still going. I must say, the workout is much more enjoyable this way and goes by a lot faster. So I'm listening to Icky Thump by the White Stripes. There's a solo so I'm just doing the workout thing. Then the verse kicks in and I belt the beginning of it out real loud, arm raised in the air, waving the #1 hand gesture ala Broadway Joe Namath.

It's then that I notice the guy who has just joined us in the gym and is standing about five feet away from me. He looks at me, I look at him. I go back to my regular workout and he just has a strange sort of look on his face. I put myself in his shoes. He walks in, two guys are working out normal and then when he's about to get on his treadmill, the big guy starts yelling and waving his fist. I'd be shocked, startled, surprised, and maybe a little scared.
I go back to a normal workout and notice that it goes by a lot slower and isn't as much fun. I think I catch August rolling his eyes and slightly shaking his head. Dang earphones. So good at cancelling out other sounds, didn't even hear the dude enter or shut the door.

No comments: